GOD By Any Other Name

As I toiled over coming out of my metaphysical closet, I spent a lot of time in prayer and meditation. I revisited my history and experiences. I studied for the right words to express what I believe to be the truth. Fact is, my circle is highly Christian, but not many of them given to further study than biblical references. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging them. I was them to some degree. For many years, in fact, I purposefully closed my mind to the things that came from outside and rebuked myself constantly for the things that came from inside. But now, let's talk about God.

From my earliest memories, I can remember talking to God. I always somehow knew "he" existed. Indeed, after extensive study of the things to disprove the existence of God, I become more and more convinced every day.

Across every continent, in every language of people, across millennia of time, people have always sought after God. Under a thousand different names, GOD has been praised and adored and feared and more importantly, LIED on or about to control others. How could GOD be used to control others? Because most of us are born with an innate sense of something bigger and those who are unscrupulous don't have a problem using that sense to manipulate those who are seeking. Because of the horrendous things done in the name of religion, we have all sorts of unbelievers/atheists. They are simply people who saw through religion and refused to continue being controlled.

When you ask most people about God, they believe. Even metaphysical people believe in God. They know there is a higher power, Source code, Infinite or Higher Wisdom, etc. Muslims call theirs Allah. The names go on and on. But when you ask people of different religions to describe their "god" by attributes, you find that they all use these attributes: loving, eternal, guiding, present, all-knowing, life-giving, never wrong, beyond question and also explanation, worthy of praise and love, ALL powerful. Scientists describe energy much the same way. They say it is eternal, always has been and always will be, ever present in all places, life-giving, beyond explanation. To scientists, energy is a god, so to speak. And this is when it hit me pretty hard what I've known since childhood.

GOD is. He doesn't belong to any one sect of people. He isn't about religion. Religion is man's attempt to organize his experiences with God and recreate them over and over. It is a construct of control. It is often the biggest graven image that flies under the radar because many people have been programmed not to question religion. Religious material further backs it up. And so people become afraid to think outside of what is preached to them day in and day out.

I love Christianity. It is where it all began for me. I'll always have fond memories. I'll always cherish my Bible and the code and instruction inside it. However, I also understand that the Bible is not the only source of information about God. In fact, the best source of information about Him is when we reconnect to Him personally. Experience is worth more than words. In fact, all the words we read are the experiences of others, some real and some parable. But the point is to transcend and be in personal relationship with God. It does not matter if you call it Universal Intelligence, Higher Power, God, Jehovah, Yahweh, etc. It's time for us to overcome the tendency to argue over names and titles. We need to stop trying to put a patent on God. We need to wake up and realize that there are problems with our holy book, as they say, but that does not mean there is no God. There are problems with religion, but that does not mean there is no God. Our Creator lives. His power works. By any other name, HE IS GOD! 

Comments